steveA

Well done, Dave

Post by steveA » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:50 am

In the words of Pink Floyd. "Hello, is there anybody out there?"

DavePace
Site Admin

Re: Well done, Dave

Post by DavePace » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:08 am

Funny you should mention Pink Floyd, I've been listening to them for hours, maybe why I fel a bit spaced out at the moment :shock:
The best thing about being Airborne is never having to miss an opportunity to remind people you're better than they are

BobWatts

Post by BobWatts » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Be careful Dave, he's trying to get into your good books so he can flog you a copy of his book, The Adventures of Dennis Bisskett ! But to be fair I have a copy and it's very good, I'll say no more otherwise I will spoil it for prospective readers. :D

DavePace
Site Admin

Post by DavePace » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:02 am

Too late Bob, I've got the books, just looking out for Dennis Biskitt t shirts in the AEA Shop
The best thing about being Airborne is never having to miss an opportunity to remind people you're better than they are

BobWatts

Post by BobWatts » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:49 am

Don't suggest that Dave, he'll fall off another ladder overcome with excitement, he's keeping very quiet so he's obviously plotting something ! :D

DavePace
Site Admin

Post by DavePace » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:56 am

:lol: I know what you mean Bob, when Steve is quiet it's time to worry.

John

Post by John » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:24 pm

Dave , that's a great admin job you are doing , not only on the "Roll of Honour" but across the whole web site . To assist in the future why not knock up a blank profile sheet , so members can fill out their history details , so when they snuff it , a quick "cut and paste will save time. Then again it might be a non starter as some of the comments might be "wine o'clock " inspired. ;)
But who are ye in rags and rotten shoes , you dirty bearded , blocking up the way.....Open the gate , O watchman of the night !

DavePace
Site Admin

Post by DavePace » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:03 pm

John wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:24 pm
Dave , that's a great admin job you are doing , not only on the "Roll of Honour" but across the whole web site . To assist in the future why not knock up a blank profile sheet , so members can fill out their history details , so when they snuff it , a quick "cut and paste will save time. Then again it might be a non starter as some of the comments might be "wine o'clock " inspired. ;)
Hi John, thanks for your suggestion, I think that's a great idea,even the wine o’clock aspect could be good 😊 . I'll give it some thought on the best way to do it but my first instinct is to set up a web form on the site. It would I think be pretty much free text and would need a check box to give consent for us to hold the data entered.

BobWatts

Post by BobWatts » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Sounds like a good idea Dave, but I won't be rushing to meet the Grim Reaper to enter the Roll of Honour. The BAFC have set up something similar, I believe it's called Tommy Simpsons Valhalla Book. The idea is every member can send their details into Tommy who enters them in his book, then when you pop your clogs, Tommy has a brass plaque engraved with your details and its pinned to a bench in Aldershot Military Cemetery. Last time I was up there for the P Company 10 Miler, I spotted Louis Gallagher's plaque on one. Nice reminder of those past ! :)

DavePace
Site Admin

Post by DavePace » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:02 pm

Thanks for that Bob, given me some ideas on what the AEA could do. I'm currently doing a lot of work on the Roll of Honour content on the AEA site, one of the things that came from that was the number of people who had passed on but weren't included in the site, with a lot of help I've been able to compile a list of over 50 names to add to the site. In many cases the details we have on them are very basic but at least in our own small way we've remembered them.