Airborne Engineers Association

Roll of Honour



George Gibson (Gibby) Earl

George Gibson (Gibby) Earl was born 7 December 1931 in Edinburgh and passed away on 10 February 2004 in Victoria, British Columbia

George Gibson (Gibby) Earl

Gibby was a tiler by trade and served his apprenticeship in Grays of George Street, Edinburgh.

Circa 1950 Gibby joined 131 Parachute Engineer Regiment (TA) and served with 2 Troop 300 Sqn. During National Service between 5 June 1952 and 27 June 1954 Gibby served as a Training Corporal with No. 3 Training Regt. Royal Engineers. On discharge Gibby returned to his trade, reenlisted in 300 Sqn and was later promoted to Troop S/Sgt with 2 Troop.

On 12 April 1965 at Al-Mliah, Aden, during an attack by rebel tribesmen on 24 Fd Sqn's camp, Gibby suffered a bullet wound to the leg but later completely recovered. He continued to serve with 2 Troop until 31 March 1967 when he left on the reorganisation of the TA. Gibby's service was recognised by the award of the TA Efficiency Medal. Later that year he emmigrated to Canada. Gibby was one of many to emigrate following the 1967 reorganisation of the TA - I can think of at least 10 from 2 Troop alone.

Happily settled in Victoria, BC with his family Gibby continued working at his trade until he retired. He didn't put his feet up then but joined the Seniors Centre where he participated in many hobbies and learned wood carving both on the lathe and by hand and made lots of beautiful carvings.

He and his wife took up curling and lawn bowling and became coaches on both subjects and played in a number of countries.

In 2000 Gibby was diagnosed with colon cancer. Unfortunately, when he was operated on the doctors discovered that the cancer had spread to his liver and other organs. He didn't give up and continued to have treatment for his cancer until his body could take no more. In January 2004 he had a stroke and passed away three weeks later. Gibby's funeral was a quiet affair with only family members and a few friends present. His coffin had a red beret on top and the only flowers allowed were from the Edinburgh Branch of the Association. There was a celebration of his life on Sunday 22 February 2004 at the Juan de Fuca Senior Centre, Colwood, BC that a large number of his friends attended.

His wife Jeanette, son Dale and his wife Cathie, daughter Janice and grandchildren survive Gibby. He will be sadly missed.



first image second image third image fourth image fifth image sixth image seventh image eighth image
themed object