Airborne Engineers Association

Roll of Honour



Maj Tony Jackson


Tony was the last surviving officer of 591 (Antrim) Parachute Squadron RE. He was commissioned into the Royal Engineers in November 1942 and joined the Squadron with the rank of Lieutenant. In the spring of 1944, by then a twenty-one year old Captain, he was commanding 2 Troop of the Squadron with thirty to thirty-five men and two other officers.

In preparation for D-Day Captain Jackson was ordered to prepare a mock-up of a very important German artillery gun battery (Merville) which was situated on the coast of France. On completion, Lt Col Otway commanding 9th Battalion The Parachute Regiment, was able to plan and rehearse how the battery was to be destroyed on D-Day. Captain Jackson and his troop was to drop with the battalion, first to clear the mine field surrounding the battery and then breach the wire defences. When the battery had been captured the sappers were then to destroy the guns. Unfortunately not everything went according to plan and Captain Jackson and his troop were dropped wide of the target and could not take any further part in the attack. Captain Jackson was taken prisoner shortly after landing and spent the remainder of the war in Oflag 79, a POW camp for officers.

At the end of the war he continued with his military career in the Royal Engineers and was promoted to the rank of Major and given Command of 42 Field Squadron RE at that time serving in B.A.O.R.

Retiring from the Army in 1964 Major Jackson took up an appointment as a P.A. to a managing Director of a large group of companies, and for many years lived in Camberley Surrey, with his wife and family until finally settling in Fleet Hampshire.

Our condolences to his sons Peter and Francis and grand- daughters Charlotte and Sophie. He will be sadly missed by all those members of the AEA who came to know this fine Officer and Gentleman.



first image second image third image fourth image fifth image sixth image seventh image eighth image
themed object